Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mixtapes and Young Money

Hats off to Vogue Magazine for this incredible portrait of Nicki Manaj.  Being out of country for almost two years I hadn't been privy to the rise of this young Trinidadian-born artist - who happens to be loads of fun to Wiki (where I got my title) and Youtube stalk. I appreciate her ability to maintain that Gaga touch of creepy without inspiring the nightmares.  Her whole vibe strikes me as Barbie meets Lil Kim meets Fifth Element meets Guess's Kate Upton phase with a "Love Lockdown" neon twist. 


"Love Lockdown" by Kanye West

The super-hero styling for this photo resonates with her history of using alter egos. Here's an interesting quip from her New York interview: "To get away from all of their fighting, I would imagine being a new person.  'Cookie' was my first identity - that stayed with me for a while. I went on to 'Harajuku Barbie' then 'Nicki Manaj.' Fantasy was my reality."  Unclear where this is all going but it's obvious that Manaj has an incredible talent which thankfully doesn't take itself too seriously, as showcased in this video.  I hope she produces something that I might actually consider playing in my ride without the added theatrics of her videos.  We'll see.

Fifth Element







No comments:

Post a Comment